≡ Menu

Chicken and Fresh Corn Soup Recipe

strayedtable-3726

strayedtable-3701strayedtable-3708

Corn is so simple to grow and seems to love our Queensland climate. The last of our corn was put to good use in this nourishing Chinese style soup. For those of you who don’t know that I once worked in a Chinese Restaurant as my first job – I did. Anyways my mum use to love chicken and corn soup from them and she also made her own version using tinned corn.

Being the farmer that I am with a silly amount of corn ready to harvest all at once. I put about five cobs of them to good use to make this soup. Some of you will be familiar with the Chinese style soup I am talking about and how it is usually quite runny and smooth. This is a more chunky rustic version. If you want though you could possibly blitz the corn to a smooth paste, it’s up to you.

strayedtable-3731

Chicken and Fresh Corn Soup Recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: soup
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 x chicken breast, cut into small squares
  • 1 lge shallot, finely sliced
  • 2 cups of fresh corn (5 cobs)
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • 200ml of water
  • 1 x egg, whisked
Instructions
  1. In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over a medium heat and cook the chicken stirring continuously. Remove once browned and put to the side.
  2. In the same saucepan add ¾ of the shallots and soften slightly. Add the corn and cover with the chicken stock and water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a steady simmer and cook for 30minutes. Break up the corn with a potato masher or use a stick blender to give it a little whizz but leaving some of the corn kernels still whole.
  3. Add the chicken back to the saucepan and cook for a minute. In the meantime crack the egg in to a cup and whisk it. Pour the egg mixture into the soup and turn off the heat. Stir the egg through and then season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the remaining shallots on top.

strayedtable-3739

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments on this entry are closed.

• farmer liz February 27, 2014, 7:20 am

I made a similar soup last week only I grew rhe chicken not the corn! I used the wings and feet for extra flavour and pick out all the bones after 12 hr simmer, then add corn and vege at the end. The neighbour’s kids came over while the chicken was defrosting on the bench, they were fascinated by the feet!

• Kim Houssenloge February 27, 2014, 12:57 pm

Oh yum, that looks delicious. So does your bread and butter pickles. I found your blog just then as I was googling for a good pickles recipe. my cueys have gone wild! Love your blog and so happy to have found it and the pickles recipe. x

• Lizzie Moult February 28, 2014, 9:11 am

The pickle recipe is very popular, its one that every one loves as its not too sweet. Hope you enjoy it and thanks for stopping by.

• Sue February 27, 2014, 8:33 pm

I harvested the rest of my corn this afternoon and my first thoughts were of chicken and corn soup, so thanks for a quick and simple recipe.

• Lizzie Moult February 28, 2014, 9:12 am

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• e / dig in hobart February 28, 2014, 9:32 am

YUM! corn soup is great. good for big tough corn, full of flavour but a bit of a chewy workout… i also love throwing corn into a vegie slice.

• Miss Piggy March 2, 2014, 9:34 am

I love chicken & corn soup and this looks so simple. Pity corn isn’t something that will grow out on the balcony garden.

• Christina March 2, 2014, 10:04 pm

I’ve got some corn stashed in the freezer from last year. I love the sound of your soup and will make it this week. Thank you

• John@Kitchen Riffs March 3, 2014, 3:28 am

I much prefer the chunkier version! I can’t wait until we get fresh corn so I can make this — it’s wonderful! Thanks.

• Amanda@ChewTown March 6, 2014, 7:31 am

What a beautiful looking soup! I’m printing it out and making it this weekend – our Sydney weather has been up and down lately, I’m sure it will bucket down at some point, and I love eating soup when its a rainy day.