I love quick meals that are packed full of flavour and this simple basil chicken salad was put together in just under 30 minutes which included making my own homemade mayonnaise. With a bountiful harvest of lettuces at the moment in our garden we are eating salads for most meals. It wont last long until they are all gone but for some reason they all grew at the same rate.
To me this salad is like a deconstructed version of the classic chicken and mayo sandwich. I wont get too fancy on you but Roy loves chicken and mayo sandwiches and he mentioned while eating it that it had all the components except the bread was crunchy. I thought it was closer to a chicken caesar salad minus the egg, bacon and anchovies on top. What do you reckon?
When cooking the chicken in the oven after you turn it the first time you can cover it with foil to stop those basil leaves from burning. I often find my oven is super fast at cooking and can even burn the leaves in less than two minutes. I do like my chicken skin slightly crispy so a few crisped leaves are ok. It is super important to rest your meat before cutting it for this salad otherwise the juice will go everywhere and your meat will be tough not delicate and tender.
- 1 chicken breast
- handful of bail
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- lettuce, mixed or coz
- stale baguette
- garlic, crushed
- 100g butter, cubed
- homemade mayonnaise - recipe here
- Pre-heat your oven to 200'c.
- Get a small baking dish and place ½ the basil in the bottom where you intend to place the chicken breast. Then lay the chicken breast on top of the leaves. Drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place the remaining basil leaves on the top pressing down to stick them. Drizzle again with a little extra olive oil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes turning half way. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
- To make the croutons cut the baguette into 1 inch chunks and layout on a baking tray. Sprinkle over the crushed garlic and scatter over the diced butter. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and season with salt. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes stirring at 10 minutes and then checking to see if they are lightly golden by 15.
- Plate up your salad by arranging lettuce leaves on two plates, fan out the chicken slices, scatter a couple of croutons and drizzle with home made mayonnaise.