Sometimes you just get chocolate cravings. There is nothing you can do about it unless you have a huge stash of chocolate hiding somewhere. Unfortunately for me I don’t horde chocolate in our house, we have it occasionally but not very often. My chocolate cravings generally spark up around 8pm at night. I just want a little dark chocolatey goodness to fix my sweet tooth.
Honestly the amount of times in my life I have made this pudding is just ridiculous. It was designed for break-ups, drunken girl catch up nights, last-minute desserts to take to a friend’s place or even as a self-indulgent pleasure. It has it all. I think that everyone I have ever lived with has eaten my version of chocolate self-saucing pudding. Sometimes it goes a little wayward with me not having a recipe, turning out too dry and not enough sauce. Once I left it in the oven after thinking my inner chocolate monster needed more chocolate in there so I added way too much dark chocolate to the mix and it was a total fail.
Finally I have come to my senses and written down the recipe. Luckily this recipe worked perfectly and I will now be able to keep it forever. Winning.
When do you like to indulge in chocolate?
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup SR flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 180'c and grease a 20cm ceramic deep dish with a little olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, cocoa powder, olive oil and eggs, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the flour along with a pinch of salt and stir through. Add the milk and combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased dish.
- To make the sauce place the brown sugar and cocoa powder in the now empty mixing bowl (yes even if there is still cake batter in it). Pour over a cup of boiling water and mix out all the lumps.
- Pour over the top of the batter in the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 40minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving with a generous dollop of cream or ice cream.