All of a sudden I have loads of tomatoes ripe on my bench. After picking 18 kilos from the farm before we left they have slowly been ripening and now there is far too many needing some love. Most people would suggest I get stuck in and make some passata, relish or chutney. Well, my response is simple. Take a look in my cupboard and tell me I need more of all of those things, I think not.
After using Pintrest to search for a recipe to inspire my tomato glut I came across this fabulous BLT bowl from the Londoner. Total inspiration hit. I have tomatoes, avocado, bacon and loads of lettuce in our new garden. Decision was made. I went to work cutting up all the bits and assembling when Roy arrived home from work. Yes we eat early we have a one year old who has dinner at 5.30pm. After explaining our dinner he put the suggestion in for a creamy dressing.
Just like my chicken and lettuce salad which is like a sandwich here is the BLAT salad(bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato) version with a creamy dressing as you would no doubt have mayo on your sandwich right?
The salad was delicious and it was so nice not having to have the bread with it too. Just enjoy the flavours and we topped it with some feta so it was super creamy. I used more tomatoes than I have listed in the recipe but I have plenty to use so they must go.
- 4 rashes of bacon
- 1 small lettuce, washed, torn into large chunks
- 1 lge or 2 sml avocados, skins removed and diced
- 2 lge tomatoes, diced
- 50g danish style feta
- 2 tbsp homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tsp seeded mustard
- ½ lemon juiced
- Start off by cooking the bacon in a frying pan until crispy. Drain on a paper towel once cooked.
- While the bacon is cooking make the dressing. Simple add the mayonnaise, seeded mustard, lemon juice and a few grinds of pepper in a small bowl. Give it a good mix to combine making sure there are no lumps.
- Back to the salad. While the bacon is cooling start assembling your salad. Place the lettuce leaves into two bowls, top with the diced avocado and tomatoes. Scatter over the bacon pieces and then sprinkle over the feta.
- Drizzle over the dressing just before serving.