I use to make a similar green bean salad a few years ago, we use to call it the three bean salad. I have changed the recipe since I discovered a bean salad with chickpeas in it! I love chickpeas they are so creamy and go really well with lemon juice, that is what I think anyways.
Blanching your green beans to keep them crunchy is a technique I do try to teach other people, the texture is just not the same if they are overcooked and soggy. Blanching just means you drop them in hot water, then I usually count to ten fast, then dash to the sink to drain them. I also like to run cold water over them for 2 minutes. You could also put them into an ice bath. The idea of adding the cold water is to stop them cooking. Which means that they change colour and go nice dark green yet keep their crunch. YUM
Simple is always good and if you can throw something together in less than half an hour I am a happy lady. How long are you willing to spend on making a salad? The quicker the better right?
- 400 gm green beans, topped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ⅛ tsp cumin powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tin chick peas
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 100gm of cherry tomatoes*
- Small handful of rocket
- Fill a medium sauce pan ¾ full with water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Once the water is at a rolling boil, add the green beans. Count to ten then strain them immediately. Run them under cold water for two minutes, drain them and allow to cool. This method is called blanching, which just cooks them and keeps them crunchy.
- In the meantime in a large salad bowl, place the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin and whisk to combine.
- Add the green beans and toss through the dressing. Add the remaining ingredients, chickpeas, kidney beans, cherry tomatoes and rocket. Stir to combine and coast with the dressing and serve.