Summer is all about salads and sharing meals for us. Most nights when its hot putting something quick and simple together is our best option for dinner as neither of us want to cook. With our garden producing a ridiculous amount eggplants at the moment, we seem to be doing eggplant in everything. Mind you eggplants go great with chickpeas and lamb. The salad is very filling and with lemon squeezed all over it makes you want to drink a beer with it. Well it is summer and beer is the perfect thing to keep you cool on a balmy night.
Roy is brewing his own beers again this year, with three batches so far under his belt looks like he will keep this going. So far making largers and an ale he is trying different sorts to figure out what he likes the most. I really will have to do a post about his beer making to share with you. There is a little bit of chemistry involved which is really interesting. I just get to babysit the ferment when he goes away and listen to it bloop away.
Whats your favourite summer salad or beer?
- 2 lge eggplants, cut into 1 inch chunks
- Olive oil
- 6 lamb cutlets
- 150gm Spinach leaves, washed
- 400g cooked chickpeas (1 tin)
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- Lemon quarters to serve
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat your oven to 220’c and line a tray with baking paper. Place the eggplant onto the tray and drizzle with a good amount of olive oil and a few generous grinds of salt. Cook for 30minutes turning the eggplant half way.
- Heat a heavy based frypan over high heat with a little olive oil. Place the lamb cutlets into the pan and turn season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium for the remainder of the cooking. Turn the cutlets after cooking for about 3 minutes on the first side. Cook for a further three minutes after applying more salt and pepper to the cutlets. Remove from the pan and allow to rest while you assemble the salad.
- On a large serving plate, scatter the spinach leaves and top it off with the cooked chickpeas. Add the eggplant and finely sliced onion. Arrange the lamb on top of the salad along with the lemon quarters. Serve immediately with your favourite bread.