This is a recipe that I had to try. I had eaten it once in a restaurant, and paid like $25 for it. And thought it was the bees nees. Now that i have made this great dish, I may have drank a few too many glasses of wine? this does happen. None the less this tasty treat to tickle the taste buds to bursting flavour will do the job on a cold winter night. I have served it with mashed beans instead of having the cous cous or chickpeas through the Tagine.
Moroccan Lamb Tagine
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tbsp Turmeric
1 1/2 tbsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Chili
STEP ONE: All these ingredients are to be ground together.
4 Cloves Garlic
2 Brown Onions
1 Red Chili
Stalks of Coriander (keep leaves for later)
1 tsp White Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
STEP TWO: Blend these for 3min till it looks like a puree no lumps.
4 Shanks of Lamb
Potatoes – 1 per person
100gms Dried Apricots
2 Tbsp Honey
100gms Dried Dates
3 Bay leaves
1 Tsp Slat
500mls Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- Follow the two steps above, and set aside
- Heat a deep pan cook lamb till it has browned
- Add the ground spices from STEP ONE, cook till it is aromatic
- Add the Blended Spices from STEP TWO and the onion till it has gone transparent
- add remaining vegetables and stir for another 5 minutes
- Add stock and cook on a low heat for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
I used a slow cooker to cook the Tagine over night which is enough. So for fellow slow cookers put it on in the morning and it will be ready for you when you get home. It tasted amazing sweet yet zingy and the spices just melted in your mouth.