Stepping into parenthood I knew that I would need a little help so I purchased A book. When looking at books I tend to get distracted, I think I was looking for pregnancy books a guide on how to give birth. Such a silly thing really, its a natural process and women have done it for thousands of years. Needless to say I walked out of the store with a single book. Its called French Kids Don’t Throw Food. It’s the perfect book for me it about a little tough love, teaching through play and kids developing patience and sleeping through the night. Perfect. In the book there is a single recipe and I have adapted it to suit us which is for a simple cake made with yogurt. I like anything that is easy and well I want to jazz it up as I was going to visit friends so I add a crumble on top which was delicious. Almost like a dessert but its a cake.
This Strawberry Crumble Cake is really simple to make and with the last of the strawberries in season it will really make you feel like its spring. The other cool thing you can do is make it with strawberry yogurt instead of plain for extra strawberry goodness.
- 200g Plain Yoghurt
- 2 Eggs
- 170g Sugar
- 270g SR Flour
- 1 cup of Strawberries, chopped
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 50g chilled butter, chopped
- 55g (1/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 190'c and line a round 22cm baking tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the yoghurt, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour and stir to a form a thick batter. Pour into prepared cake tin and pat down.
- Scatter strawberries over the top pushing a few into the mixture.
- To make the crumble place the plain flour, butter and sugar into a bowl and using your hands form breadcrumb like mixture. Sprinkle the crumble over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until cake is firm in the middle.