Occupational Health + Safety
Is the title of legislation to promote “Safe work Practices” to help reduce the number of work related accidents. States and territories are in charge of overseeing the main objectives of OHS. Securing health, safety and welfare of people at work. Protecting visitors in a workplace from accidents from workplace activities. The employer should provide an environment suitable to the workers physiological and psychological needs.
What are the responsibilities of:
- the Employer: he/she employs a person under a contract of employment or apprenticeship
- the Employee: works under a contract of the employer
- Place of work: the place of where work is carried out
- Plant: any machinery, equipment and appliance on the premise
- Premises: land, building or part of a vehicle, vessel or aircraft that work is carried out
- Substance: natural or artificial (solid or liquid) vapor or gas
Aspects of health and Safety in food service
Health + Welfare
Having strict rules to prevent customers from food poisoning and accidents. Start with ensuring that staff are protected. Making sure that they have a clean bill of health. Dietary habits are taken place, with regular breaks. Medical check-ups can be given. As well as staff having a first aid certificate.
maintaining all electrical equipment regularly. Fire drills and emergency evacuation plans are executed. Exit signs are shown
preventing Accidents: Commonsense should be used other wise here is a list of things to prevent:
- falling + slipping
- electrical shocks
- accidents with plant and equipment (slices, mincers, mixers, deepfriers, salamander, bain-maries, steamers, ranges and ovens)
Employer: to provide health, safety and welfare. With a safe environment and adequate facilities. Safety instructions for dealing with chemicals, lifting, storing and transport. Supervisors are to be told of procedures and then to enforce to other staff.
Manufacturers: supply safe plants or substance
Employees: take care of others. Possibilities of starting a co-op with employer about OHS. Employees are not to misuse or interfere with plant/equipment.
Visitors: not to interfere/misuse anything while being on the precise of a workplace
Control of health and safety
when there are 20+ people in a workplace a committee can be constructed for OHS. Then every new person can learn the OHS procedures of that company/business.
the committee – have to run regular inspections and investigate any incidents. Record any accident or hazardous situation in the workplace. Then monitor and resolve any problems.
Penalties – can be heavy depending on the circumstance. Protective clothing is a good precaution from accidents.