This year I wanted to focus on my health and getting fit again. Of course, I wait until June to actually get started. So last week I started implementing a keto diet and plan on doing this for a few months to give my tummy a reset but also hopefully shed a few kilos.
The gyms are opening back up here in NSW on Saturday so I am going to make an appearance and back to my yoga regime as well.
I am actually surprised so far of how I have felt doing keto, I suffered long headaches for a few days as my body went into ketosis but now feeling good again.
Over the coming months, I am going back to recipe sharing because every time I post something someone wants a copy because I have been adapting the recipes to suit us, more veggies, not as much fat with taste as the main component without making your mouth feel as if you have just skulled a liter of melted cheese. urrghhh
For those who may have followed us back in the day will remember Roy’s obsession with Asian food and soup. Well, things have not changed much. And luckily our kids seem to love them just as much as us. Noodle soups, broths with beans all sorts.
Roy made a comment from dinner that this soup is very similar to a french onion soup with the cabbage. Everyone enjoyed it, the kids slurped the cabbage like noodles and by frying them off a little first it makes them sweeter.
The chicken dumplings are simple to make and stay moist once served. The key is not to overcook them. 5minutes max!
I hope you enjoy this soup and I look forward to sharing with you my keto rocky road next!
Keto Cabbage & Chicken Dumpling Soup
- 450 g chicken mince
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp spring onion or chives, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- a good pinch of salt or a splash of soy sauce
- 50 g butter
- 450 g green cabbage, finely sliced
- 1.5 liters chicken broth (2 x chicken carcass, one large onion, 2 carrots and 3 celery sticks)
- Salt & Pepper
- Flax oil
- Soy sauce/tamari
- Fish sauce
- Chili oil or fresh chili
- First up if you don’t have any broth on hand you will need to make some Chicken Broth. Simple throw 2 chicken carcasses into a large pot along with 1 large onion quartered, celery and carrots roughly chopped. Cover with water and bring to the boil, turn to a simmer for 2 hours. Drain and store the liquid.
- The soup, simply place the butter into a large saucepan and melt on a medium heat, add the shredded cabbage and stir until lightly golden.
- Cover the cabbage with 1.5litres of your chicken broth.
- To make the dumplings. Place the chicken mince, garlic, chives or spring onions, egg, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 15min.
- When ready to serve season the soup with salt and pepper, bringing it back up to a rolling boil. Using two spoons shape the chicken mince into balls and drop into the soup, keep going until all the mixture is gone. The soup will slowly stop bubbling away as you add the chicken dumplings, that’s okay.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes, I love plenty of coriander, a dash of flax oil and tamari.
That sounds pretty good. 🙂
It’s super Tasty!!