Our local markets have a fantastic fruit and veg stall, the Naked Carrot. Grown locally and organically by Jim Hunt. This is the second week in a row where I have bought a bag of lychees. This sorbet can be eaten guilt free.
With the HCG diet that I have been on, we look at good and bad sugars. Well a good sugar is stevia, naturally derived from the stevia plant it has no calories. That is something that we can sing and dance about. I have made a stevia sugar syrup for this recipe. I am now looking at more alternative foods that are better for my body. Stevia being my first discovery. Coconut flour I think will be my next challenge.
Lychee & Ginger Sorbet
- 1 kg Lychees peeled and pitted
- 120ml water
- 1/8 tsp of stevia (2 tbsp honey)
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 tsp (heaped) fresh ginger grated
- 3 egg whites beaten
1. Stevia Sugar Syrup: pour the water, stevia (honey), lime zest and juice into a pot, and bring to the boil. Simmer for five minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Place the lychees and ginger in a food processor and blend till combined. Get a shallow tupperware container to freeze the mixture in. Place a clean chux/dishcloth in the container and pour over half the liquid. Squeeze out all the juice from the lychee mix, into the container. Do the same with the remaining mix. If you have a fine sieve you can also use that instead of the chux.
3. Add the sugar syrup, give it a stir and place in the freezer for 2 hours. You can also use an ice-cream machine instead if you have one. After the first two hours stir the mixture and allow another 2 hours in the freezer. Blend the egg white until fluffy and stir through the slushy mixture. Use a stick blender to blend with the lychee mixture. Place back in to the freezer to set over night.