Preserving lemons is a good way to store them in the pantry. Using the pulp of the preserved lemon to make Moroccan salads or using the bitter skin in a tagine. They will keep for a year in a cool dark place.
- 3 lemons
- 4 tablespoons of salt
- Spices – cinnamon, cloves & bay leaves
- Wash the outside of the lemons and cut them into quarters.
- Place two pieces of lemon into a 300ml sterilised jar. Sprinkle over with salt. Add the spices that you would like to flavour your lemons. A combination or just one can be used.
- Repeat the process, pressing the lemons down into the jar.
- Add the remaining salt to the top of the jar and seal.
- Rest for three days. On the third day, make sure all the lemons are covered with lemon juice. You may need to squeeze another lemon or two, to cover them all.
- Keep in a cool dark place for one month before using. Once opened they will keep for up to a year in your pantry.