When I was a kid growing up, I lost count of the amount of people who asked my mum for her to either bring a potato salad to a party or bbq OR for her recipe. Honestly eating it now, I don’t know what all the fuss is about, I know I still like it at Christmas and it wouldn’t be a family get together if their was not a potato salad on the table.
My mum tells me its my grandma’s recipe (my fathers mum), to no surprise – that lady knows how to cook. Not only did she teach my mum a thing or two in the kitchen it also was me who would sit by her side at a young age cooking cakes and lunches at the farm. So really the secret is my grandmothers but it was mum who has got plenty of credit for her awesome potato skills, maybe its because her siblings are not the best cooks.
Why is this particular recipe any different from all the other millions of potato recipes? Well firstly its my mums and grandma’s and secondly its all about the onions! These days my mum sometimes puts some capers through her potato salad too, she does grow them you know, so why not.
What is your favourite bbq salad?
- 1kg potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- ½ cup good quality whole egg mayonnaise
- ½ cup of cream
- 2 tpsb Parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan place the potatoes and cover with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and reduce to a rolling simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and put them into a plastic container that has a lid. Before sealing the plastic container add the onions and stir through. Cover with the lid and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Doing this cooks the onions partly so they are not so strong.
- Remove the lid from the container and add the mayonnaise and cream and stir through. The mixture will appear sloppy while it is still warm. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste stirring again to combine. Place the lid back on top of the potato salad and place it in the fridge to cool.
- My mum would make this in the early morning for lunch get together or dinner bbq. It can be easily made in a day in advance. While it chills the potatoes take on the cream mixture absorbing it making it a very rich potato salad.